Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Half way Point and Florence again!

This week we hit the half way point if being here which is bittersweet. I feel like I am finally becoming more adapted to Italian culture and understanding the language. I can go to a resturaunt and order in Italian. I can also understand what is going on in Church with out Matt having to translate for me. I can also write paragraphs in Italian. These things are giving me more confidence in my Italian language ability and helping me love the culture even more. I also feel very grateful to have Matt here helping me every step of the way.

This past week was another great weekend. We stayed in Sienna on Friday and Sunday and explored around the city. On Saturday we  went to Florence again to go shopping.

The Entertainer of the Evening

A honey, fruit, and cheese plate

Us at Gallo Nero

On Friday night we decided to have date night and go out to this authentic siennesse restaurant called Gallo Nero (meaning black rooster). It was very yummy and they had a midevil show going on. Matt and I loved it. The food was lovely and so was the atmosphere. We ate in a former aqueduct used in 1200. It was very cozy and fun.

Outside of the Ferragamo Museum

The Florence Court House where Matt Spends Some of his Days

The Florence Duomo and  Baptistery

The Shop at Ponte Vecchio where Matt got my Earings

On Saturday we took another day trip to Florence. It was so much fun. We went with a group from BYU also doing internships in Sienna. We went to the big shops such as Zara and H&M. Where Matt and I were not very successful. We also went to Ponte Vecchio again so Matt could show me where he got my earrings for our one year anniversary. The lady was really nice and remembered Matt so we were able to talk to her for a bit. After Ponte Vecchio we went to the leather market with everyone. We shopped around where Matt bought more ties, and I bought a beautiful leather purse.

After the leather market everyone else went home except for Matt and I We stayed in Florence a little bit longer to explore. We had so much fun. Matt's Mom had emailed me about the Salvatore Ferragamo museum and I could not wait to go. I was bugging Matt about it all day and he agreed to go with me. I loved the museum. It had shoes dating back to the 1920's that I still would wear today. They had shoes made our of gold, and showed how he got his inspiration. If you ever go to Florence and have time to kill I would highly recommend going to the Ferragamo museum. After the Museum we headed over to the Florence Baptistery which was beautiful. The ceiling was little tiny gold mosaics. It was incredible. We spent a good ten fifteen minutes just staring at the ceiling (and so was everyone else). After the baptistery Matt took me to the courthouse to show me where he went to work some days. It was neat to see where he goes to court in Florence. It was such a fun trip. I am loving these adventures with Matt and our friends.

Rolling Tuscan Hills


On Sunday we took it easy. We went to Church in the morning came home and took a nap and then went out to where the girls from BYU are living. They are out in the beautiful country side of Tuscany. It was so fun to walk around and see the rolling Tuscan hills. After our afternoon walk we went home and made dinner. We had the missionaries over for dinner, which is always fun. We are loving Italy and cannot seem to get enough. 

1 comment:

  1. Look at you learning Italian! And awesome job updating the blog. I am seriously so jealous of your adventures. I bet you are going to always love these memories!!!

    ReplyDelete